Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Edmond redux


Ok, So I am never satisfied...so what ?

While developing my frog book I just felt that something wasn't right with my previous design. He looked too old, too clunky. I wanted a character that was more approachable, maybe a little more energy, sweeter in the face. I tried my hand at it and I think this Edmond is a much better design and certainly a lot more user friendly. There is a vitality that the other design lacked...I immediately wanted to draw this character in different situations.

I also removed the dark brown line that I find too harsh for what I am trying to capture here. I often wonder if I use it too much and don't trust my ability to paint an image without the dependency of line.

Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts, comments or suggestions.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

I'm going through the same thing in a way with my guy. Tough choice though, I like both Edmonds. This one definitely looks younger though and there is a nice warmth about him.

Vince M said...

Wonderful vitality in this one, Peter. I've always felt like a prisoner of linework. But I don't think your line overpowers your rendering. Quite the opposite- I think it compliments it. Especially in this version.

Beautiful character design!

The Bear Maiden said...

I like him, too, very much.